Our Top Picks
Buying a new road bikes is not an easy decision. A lot of thought goes into what type of bike it should be, the price range, how do I know which bike is the right one for me? Do I go aero? Do I need disc brakes? Do I need a carbon frame? Should I consider tubeless-ready wheels?
To make it even easier for you, determine the two most important things: first, your budget? And what purpose is the bike going to serve you? Once you decide upon these two, your options will significantly decrease.
We’re here to help you with the basics. Our review on the top 5 road bikes to buy in 2021 will make it easier for you. Let’s get right into it!
Key Factors To Consider When Buying A Road Bike
The key aspect to look into for a road bike in 2021 is mechanical/hydraulic disc brakes, a full carbon frame, and a fork. It is also important to get the correct frame size for yourself that will be comfortable and exhibit better handling than a small or oversized frame. Decide whether you want to go fast or race, or are you after a more comfortable bike for more leisurely rides?
If you’re riding on hilly roads, you’ll appreciate a lightweight bike, whereas aerodynamics are more important if you’re expecting to rid flat on flatter terrain. If you’re looking to race, the more edgy handling of a race bike will work better than the more stable handling of an endurance machine.
The top five road bikes that offer you the following are:
1. Cannondale SuperSix Evo Carbon Disc Ultegra
The Cannondale SuperSix Evo Carbon Disc Ultegra is a classic race machine with aero tweaks that handles and rides well. It is extremely lightweight, comfortable, and comes in two versions. It is great for road racers who wish to stay ahead of their competition.
- 44 – 62 cm wheel sizes
- Brakes: 160/160mm RT54 rotors
- Weight: 8.3 g
- 30mm tires
- D-shaped seat post
- Great wheels
- Provides utmost comfort
- Sublime handling
- Several mid-range components
2. Boardman SLR 9.2 Disc
The Boardman SLR 9.2 Disc is an aero-infuse, all-around race machine. Boardman’s reputation for delivering value and performance to its customers continues. Taking knowledge from the past SLR designs, as well as the current cutting-edge thinking from the biggest brands, this new model is all wrapped up in a great value package.
- Available in a range of sizes
- Wheels: Boardman SLR Elite Five DISC 28/28
- Brakes: Shimani Ultegra R8000
- Tyres: Vittoria Rubino Pro G+28mm
- Stiff carbon for bottom bracket and head tube
- Hidden mudguards mounts both front and rear
- Beautifully balanced handling and power transfer
- Huge value for money
- Slender bar and tape
- A bit of heel rub on the chainstays
3. Focus Paralane 8.9
The Focus Paralane 8.9 is a superb comfort ride paired with single-ring simplicity. It is an ideal off-the-shelf, all-weather, overall package making Paralane a tough act to follow. It will transport you swiftly and comfortably on just about any surface.
- It comes in a range of different sizes
- Weighs 8.79 kg
- Carbon SL disc frame
- Tires: Continental SpeedKing CX 32mm
- Brakes: 160mm Centerline motors
- Superb comfort
- Well-integrated mudguards
- Great performance
- The 1X gearing has some minor limitations
4. Canyon Ultimate CF Disc 8.0
The Canyon Ultimate CF Disc 8.0 easily rides as well as bikes that cost twice as much. It is an excellent bike with race geo, a plush ride, and superb brakes. On top of that, it has great value.
- Drivetrain: Shimano Dura-Ace R9120 Mechanic 2 x 11
- Tires: Continental GP 4000 SII 35
- Gearing: 52/36T and 11-28T
- Wheels: DT Swiss PRC 1400 spline 35
- Brakes: Shimano Dura-ace BR-917 160/160 mm
- Stem: Canyon CP10 Aero cockpit H36 100mm
- Handlebars: Canyon CP10 Aero cockpit h36 410mm
- Seat post: Canyon S13 VCLS CF 15-35mm setback
- Heavier wheels and deeper rims make a smooth and stiff ride
- Price/performance ratio
- Undefine handling
- String seat post flex at full extension
5. Kinesis RTD
The Kinesis RTD is a perfect blend of speed, practicality, and comfort. It has reached new aluminum alloy heights with the RTD, and it’s incredibly fast fun. If you’ve raced a day before and your legs are sore, the new Kinesis RTD still feels fast. It has a character that will keep you going.
- Comes in different sizes
- 15 kg
- Superplastic formed scandium alloy frame
- Tires: Challenge Strada Bianca 30mm
- Brakes: Shimano Ultegra 160mm/ 140 mm rotors
- Responsive frameset
- Great performance
- Confident ride
- It will make your other bikes feel inadequate
Take Your Pick
Speed, endurance, and performance – To wrap it up, these top five road bikes of 2021 are worth a look. These five will offer you a comfortable ride with great speeds and value for money, whether after a performance road, all-road adventure, or endurance road bike. Packed with advanced technology and world-class designs, they will have you falling in love with riding solo!
So, what’s it going to be?